Updated: Apr 13, 2021
Several women in my community have told me that taking the time to take care of themselves is a struggle. As they share their stories, they talk about giving to their families, their communities, the local school, their jobs, their friends. They talk about how they love being able to be there for everyone else. What they do not talk about is the joy found in giving to themselves.
Have you heard the analogy of putting on your own oxygen mask first, so you can help others?
Self-care is much the same.
We must be at our best to give our best. We have to come first.
Self-care can look like a lot of things: going to a kick boxing class, putting on a facial mask, lighting your favorite candle, all of which can put a strain on the debit card if we are not careful! Now, to be clear – a manicure and a great stress relieving bubble bath are fabulous! But, they are not the only way to prioritize your mental health.
There are lots of budget friendly ways to care for yourself without breaking the bank
1. Take a walk (in snow, on the beach, in the woods, in nature . . .)
2. Journal in any notebook, on a scrap of paper or on your phone
3. Notice your gratitude during your lunch today
4. Spend 30 minutes in solitude
5. Call a friend
6. Go to the library and find a new book or genre you have not read (or listened to) before
7. Close your eyes and practice some deep breathing
8. Do a crossword puzzle online
9. Organize a closet or drawer
10. Watch your favorite movie
11. Make a list of quotes you find inspiring
12. Do some kind of movement (YouTube has great videos for free)
13. Learn a new skill
14. Donate items to charity
15. Create a new playlist
17. Volunteer at a local pet shelter (or other non-profit)
18. Spend time with people who inspire you
19. Spend time in prayer or meditation
20. Make (and eat) your favorite meal
21. Tell someone you love them
22. Snuggle up in your favorite blanket
23. Play a video game
24. Search social media for inspiring people or groups
25. Put clean sheets on your bed
26. Play like a child
27. Paint your finger or toenails
28. Sit in your shower or bath and notice the warm water
29. Dress in your favorite outfit
30. Hug a person you love
What else would you add to the list? Or better yet, try one new thing to care for yourself this week and let us know how it went.
Be good to you! You need it!
For more tips like these as well as more in depth info and inspiration, check out our weekly email newsletter or our Facebook groups, https://www.facebook.com/LifewithLessStress/.